Butterfly petal pictures
At this time of year, there are so many amazing coloured flowers growing, you could try making these fun and simple butterfly pictures using brightly coloured petals and leaves.
You will need:
A basket or bag to gather your flowers
Glue, any craft glue should do
Some pieces of paper and some pencils or crayons
What to do:
1. Go for a walk and collect some flower petals. As you look around, try to find a good mix of colours and sizes. Try and pick petals fallen on the ground if you can. You don’t need to pick too many flowers as each one will have several petals. Only pick flowers from large patches of flowers, leaving plenty growing for the bees and for others to enjoy! Count the petals on your flowers and see how many each type of flower has! Be careful not to squash your petals and flowers too much as you pick them.
2. Take your flowers and carefully peel off the petals. Sort the petals into pairs that are the same type and size.
3. On the centre of your sheets of paper, draw a butterfly body, it doesn’t need to be very detailed.
4. Arrange the petals next to one of the butterfly body drawing so that they look like wings. Butterflies often have larger wings at the top and smaller ones at the bottom. They are also a mirror image on each side, so try and make your wings symmetrical.
5. You may want to try using more than one layer of petals. You could stick tiny petals on top of larger ones to make a pattern.
6. When you are happy with your design, glue down the petals. Do this one side at a time, so you can remember the way that you have set out your design.
7. Maybe you’d like to add some speech bubbles to your creations to show what the butterflies might be saying!
Pin for later